Hoppa till innehåll
- 8 red apples, we used Ingrid Marie
- 400g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- a few drops red food colouring
- 8 sticks, chopsticks
- Remove the stalks from the apples and put them in a heatproof bowl.
To make the toffee stick to the apples better, remove wax from the skin: Pour over boiling water to cover them and leave for 4 minutes and then remove with a slotted spoon and pat dry.
- Tip the sugar into a large saucepan, add the lemon juice and 100ml water, cook until the sugar has dissolved.
- Swirl the pan gently to move the sugar around, don’t stir.
- Add the golden syrup and simmer the mixture until it reaches 'hard crack' stage or 150C on a sugar thermometer.
- When it's ready, drip in some food colouring and swirl.
- Dip each apple working quickly into the toffee, make sure to cover it fully. Let any excess to drip off back into the pan.
- If you need, gently heat the toffee again.
- Sprinkle crouched candy for decoration before the toffee hardens.
we used Swedish candy ‘Polkagris’ from Gränna.
Serve the apples the same day.